Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Met Gala: Best and Worst Dressed

Anyone interested in fashion looks forward to the annual Costume Institute Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (or the Met Gala for short). This year's theme was "Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology." As technology grows and progresses exponentially right before our eyes, I understand why this theme would be a popular one. However, I was quite disappointed in the lack of creativity when it came to the actual outfits that celebrities wore. Everyone wore metallics, which is the most obvious way to translate "technology" to fashion. No one could think of anything else? But still, there were some who wore it better than others.

Best Dressed
I'm not sure if this outfit has anything to do with technology, but at least it looks new and fresh. Plus, Alicia Vikander is the face of this theme, starring in the incredible film Ex Machina (The film stuck with me for weeks! Click here to read my blog post about the movie.).

Again, I don't know if this dress really fits the theme, but Bee Shaffer looks amazing in this gown (which is quite reminiscent of what she wore last year. See it here on my blog post from 2015.)

Kendall Jenner looks HOT! I wish my body looked like that! She looks stunning and stole the show (for me, at least).
Although, Karlie Kloss gave Kendall a run for her money! Whew, cut-outs are where it's at!
Mackenzie Davis looks like she should star in The Great Gatsby! I like the idea of bringing the past to the future (art deco meets circuit board). I just wish she'd smile: she'd look so much prettier!


Naomi Campbell followed suit with a similar art deco-inspired, beaded gown. She always looks great!
Poppy Delevingne's dress was also quite unique, and there's so much to look at! Let's call it "Gypsy Fringe" maybe?
Karolina Kurkova looks like a floral ballerina! So pretty!
Alessandra Ambrosio's dress is definitely a piece of art. I just wish this knitted/crochet outfit didn't look so heavy.

Nicole Kidman looks like a moon goddess! Stunning!
Almost there...

Emma Watson looks beautiful, but the pants under the skirt really threw me off!
A little too simple for my taste, but Chloë Grace Moretz still looked very pretty.

My first reaction to Kate Bosworth's dress was, "Wow, that's weird." But, I appreciate the creativity, and this dress really does look like a piece of art.

Lupita Nyong'o is usually always on the "best dressed" list, but her alien hair-do drops her down here.

  I love emerald green for formal affairs, but the heavy necklace and poorly-placed cut-outs kill Hailee Steinfeld's look.     This ensemble was half-way to the "best dressed" list!

And here are all the looks that are nice, but they are so cliche in the interpretation of "technology" : "shiny silver."
Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik look good, but a robotic arm? Really?
Joan Smalls
Naomi Watts
Kylie Jenner and her big sister Kim Kardashian  wore matching metallic gowns.

Jourdan Dunn
Cindy Crawford
I don't like Kate Upton, but I have to admit that she looks pretty good in this Topshop gown.

Huma Abedin wore a beautiful dress, but how embarrassing that Jessica Chastain wore the same gown almost a month earlier!If it were one-of-a-kind, perhaps I'd have put it under "best dressed."

Worst Dressed
While some stars didn't really think about the event's theme that much, Julie Macklowe went overboard.
This look on FKA twigs is just a mess. I'm not sure what's going on (especially with that nose ring chain), but whatever it is, it's bad. (I'll admit, I didn't even know who she was until I looked her up.)


I think Juno Temple stole Rapunzel's nightgown...
OMG. It's Destiny's Child all over again. (Plus, I don't even know who the Haim sisters are.)
Michelle Williams looks like an angry teenager from the '90s. Sort of the opposite of futuristic...
Poor Grimes. What was she thinking? She didn't look any better last year, either (Refer to last year's blog post here.).
Selena Gomez: Little House on the Prairie meets Dominatrix.
Tavi Gevinson was right there on the prairie with Selena.
 Sarah Jessica Parker also went back in time, looking like a colonialist. But, maybe she's being really deep with her interpretation of the theme: technology will lead us to conquering and colonizing new lands, like Mars?
I don't know who Jemima Kirke is, but this grandma dress mixed with the pink eye shadow is not a good combination.
EEK! Solange Knowles is wearing the yellow fabric version of her outfit last year! And clear heels!
 
Is Sofia Richie wearing a carpet or curtains? (BTW, she's "Nicole Richie's sister." She's so under the radar that she doesn't even have her own Wikipedia page.)

Saoirse Ronan is wearing something I'd expect to see from Betty White, not a young woman.
There's a right and a wrong way to do florals. Elizabeth Cordry, this is the wrong way.

Ok, this is a costume event, but it's not Halloween...Zoë Kravitz looks like an evil fairy.
Florence Welch found a life-size version of the cheapest Barbie doll dress you owned. Yeah, the crinkly one.

There are no words. Stacy Martin's dress is just UGLY.

Now, I love Taylor Swift. I love her music, I respect that she writes a lot of her own songs, she's a great role model for young girls...But this outfit is a total miss. This goth python look is not doing it for me. She looks like Lady Gaga on any regular day.


Speaking of Lady Gaga, this outfit is less "technology" and more Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Several stars wore dresses that look like they made them at home for a school project. Dakota Johnson, Kate Hudson, Michelle Monaghan, and Kate Mara: shame on you.

                    Unlike her fellow Victoria's Secret model Karlie Kloss, Lily Aldridge, did not pull off these cut-outs.                  And I'm not sure why she bleached her eyebrows...

I respect Diane von Furstenberg as a fashion icon, but those butterflies have got to go.

Demi Lovato wore a dress that is only a slightly-better version of what Katy Perry wore last year.


As for Katy Perry, I think her outfit this year is more interesting, but it's just as scary.

Katie Holmes is channeling her inner druggie hippie.
WTF is going on with Maria Sharapova's earring? And is it just me, or does she look weird in anything but tennis clothes?
Madonna and Nicki Minaj dressed as they usually do at these events. As usual, they did not end up on the "best dressed" list. And you can't tell, but Madonna is wearing a thong, so you can see her butt cheeks through her sheer lace skirt.
What do you think? Who do you think wore it best?

No comments:

Post a Comment