Monday, January 22, 2018

My MLK Weekend

I'm sorry this post is so late! I ended up spending the long weekend on the Eastern Shore with my parents, and I brought one of my sorority sisters along. We had a lot of fun!

Saturday:
Image found here

We didn't leave the DC area until just before lunch time, so it was already afternoon by the time we arrived at my parents' place. We hung out for a little while, but quickly became bored. But we soon found entertainment in baking with my mom. We made peanut butter cookies (yum!) and pineapple bars (just like lemon bars except less sour). Afterward, we looked up movie times and decided to head to Dover to see The Post. Jen and I had both heard good things about the movie, and who doesn't love Tom Hanks? In the end I thought the movie was similar to Spotlight except not as exciting, and I think it was a bit hyped-up. Yes, Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep have never been in a movie together; this doesn't mean the movie is going to be the best thing since sliced bread. I even fell asleep during the film, so that should tell you something.

Sunday:

For our first full day on the Eastern Shore, we made our way over to St. Michaels, a very cute town that is quite popular in the summer but dead this time of year. We stopped by the shops that were open (the people working in the stores were thankful just to have visitors), but we didn't buy much (I think I got a postcard and a Christmas CD). The majority of our time was spent doing tastings at the St. Michaels Winery and Lyon Distilling Company. I had tried the wine before, but the spirits were new to us. There was such a variety of rums and other liquors (including some by Gray Wolf Craft Distilling); they were all quite yummy! Of course afterward we needed to get some food in our stomachs, so we went to Crepes by the Bay and enjoyed some breakfast crepes.

https://i.redditmedia.com/2lR9j2qY01iVqUVBCzlWgKtAWAMp8dNHodW7n933CXo.jpg?w=320&s=c9d7eb0f48610d8f42f5f9842d436709
I always think of this scene from Talladega Nights when I eat Crepes. Image found here.

After lunch we shopped around a bit more and then headed back to my parents' place. When we got home my dad was back from his weekend trip, so we hung out with him in his man cave and watched some football. Then we helped make zoodles for a family dinner around the table. We ended the evening watching a movie (of course I can't even remember which one...) and relaxing by the fire. Such a fun day!

Monday:
Colorful boba for bubble tea! Photo credit: Jen Fownes
Both of my parents had to work that day, so Jen and I spent a slow morning at home and made our own bubble tea (cooking the tapioca balls (boba) takes some time, but they were delicious!). After we packed up the car, we headed to the Queenstown Outlets. Jen really needed some boots and other clothes, so I tagged along but only bought a few things. We were very successful at the LOFT outlet (and we both had coupons and the LOFT credit card); she got a beautiful military-inspired jacket and a dress, while I got a Dartmouth green sweater and a lovely loung-y velvet shawl thing (i.e. fancy cover-up for pajamas). We also shopped at Old Navy, where I bought a shirt for a friend and some athletic clothes for me. And Jen did find her boots at Famous Footwear, along with a pair of sneakers and some flip-flops (I bought sandals, too. Might as well buy them when they're cheap!). We only visited four or five stores, but we spent several hours there (we missed our lunch reservation at Luna Blu in Annapolis!). But the bubble tea held us over, and we ended the evening with an early dinner at Sala Thai in Bethesda before Jen went back home.

I love long weekends like that! Why can't we have more of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment