Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My First Broken Bone





So...I went snowboarding for the first time in 3 years last Friday. All day I was doing great; it all comes right back to you, like riding a bike. That was...until the last run. We hit a patch of un-groomed snow, and though my dad was able to make it through, I fell and immediately knew I had hurt my ankle. I was able to make it to the lift to take me down to the base of the mountain, but by the end of the day, I could not put weight on my left leg. I thought it was a really bad sprain, but after a trip to the hospital, the x-rays showed a broken fibula. So now I'm in a very fashionable boot (see photo above) for the next six weeks. Here are some things I've experienced with this issue:

1. Breaking a bone (or at least a small one like this) doesn't actually hurt that badly. Like I said, I thought it was a sprain. The only time I cried was when doctors confirmed that the leg was broken; I wasn't crying out of pain, but out of frustration, knowing that my snowboarding vacation was over and that I'd have to deal with this inconvenience for the next several weeks.

2. This was a whole experience of firsts. I'd never broken a bone, never ridden in a wheelchair or used crutches, never been inside a hospital (except the waiting room with other people, or the day I was born), never been the first person onto an airplane, never worn a funky boot on my foot... There really is a first time for everything!

3. When you can't walk normally, everything takes twice as long to do. The average TV commercial break is not even enough time for a run to the restroom. My mom had to wash my hair as I leaned over the side of the bathtub since I couldn't get the original split wet. I have to brush my teeth on one foot. I can't carry anything in my hands while I'm on crutches (carrying things while walking is probably one of the greatest things about being a biped). I'm essentially a complete invalid.

4. I have to say that, although this happened at the beginning of my vacation rather than the end, the timing is actually pretty good. It's not summer time, when I'd want to wear super-cute clothes and sunbathe. The Olympics are on, so while I'm stuck on the couch, at least I get to see essentially every event (including heats and qualifying rounds). I have an upcoming long weekend, so I'll have an extra day to recuperate without missing work (and perhaps an upcoming snow day, too!). A colleague of mine recently hurt her leg, but is much better, so now I can borrow her nice leg stool to keep my leg elevated.So it could be worse.

5. I do not plan on having this happen EVER again. So I'm milking it for all it's worth. Lots of cooked meals, people grocery shopping for me, doting on me...Yep.

I'm making the best of this annoying situation. But I appreciate your prayers for a quick recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment