Friday, August 8, 2014

My first preseason football game!

I had never been to a real NFL game before; tickets are usually either sold out entirely to season ticket holders, or are really expensive. But my boyfriend was able to get a great deal on tickets to see the preseason game between the Washington Redskins and the New England Patriots. And it was so much fun!

First of all, it was my first time tail gating. I guess it wasn't totally real tail gating, with tons of fans wearing face paint and a million grills cooking burgers and hot dogs surrounding us. But we were in a field with several other cars, and we made our own little meal with the Coleman grill

Tail gating is fun! Sans beer though (extra calories!)
Hail to the Redskins!
After dinner, we headed to the stadium. The only other time I had been in an NFL stadium was for the HFStival that was held in the Baltimore Ravens' stadium (where I saw Good Charlotte, Garbage, Foo Fighters, Billy Idol, Sum 41, etc.). But this time it was for a real football game! I was overwhelmed by the size of the stadium; there must be close to 50,000 seats  in there!

RGIII, in the flesh!
The game was not super-exciting, mainly because it was a preseason game and therefore doesn't count for anything. Plus, the Redskins were kicking butt, and I felt silly in my Patriots jersey.



And I'll admit I didn't really pay too much attention to the actual game. But I did see the cheerleaders!



Yes, I guess you could call me a "traitor."
After half-time, I asked my boyfriend if the Patriots were going to make a comeback. He predicted they would not. So I preceded to take off my Patriots jersey, and underneath was my Redskins T-shirt! I may be the first person to ever do that, but I like rooting for a winner. I like getting to clap and cheer, and the Patriots just weren't doin' it for me! I got mixed reactions from the people sitting around me; Redskins fans were excited I came around, Patriots fans told my boyfriend to dump me, and he himself was not amused. But I got to leave the stadium wearing the winning burgundy and gold!

Question for my readers: There has been a lot of talk (for a very long time) about the Redskins changing their team name. What do you think the new name should be? I like alliteration, so I think channeling Barry Kripke from The Big Bang Theory and calling the team the Washington Wedskins would be amusing. But I'm pretty sure the NFL won't go for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment