Thursday, July 16, 2015

Movie Review: The DUFF

Image found on imdb.com
I had yet another Redbox code for a free movie, so I rented The DUFF. I wasn't in the mood for a serious film, and I thought this looked like a fun, teen comedy. All in all, it was. The plot is that the protagonist (Bianca, played by Mae Whitman) finds out she's a DUFF ("Designated Ugly Fat Friend"), so she loses her sense of self and tries to find a different identity. She goes through this internal journey with the help of her friend/neighbor Wesley (played by Robbie Amell...mmm...). He's helping her become "cool" while she's helping him study for Science (the movie does not tell us which science they are studying...). Not surprisingly, their friendship turns into love and they end up happily ever after. The end.

The movie sends this cliché message: Life's not worth trying to be cool; Don't let the mean girls get you down; Just be yourself. Which, don't get me wrong, is a good message (I was never "cool" and I think I turned out alright). But seeing as this is a movie, reality is a little skewed. I mean, a guy THAT hot would never date a girl like her (she really isn't ugly or fat, but he is in a whole different league). And her hot friends? Yeah, they probably wouldn't have been friends with her in real life, even if they really did want/need a DUFF to make them look hotter in comparison. We live in a very superficial society, and that's just how it is.

Again, this movie was kind of cute and fun, but it doesn't compare to the teen classics like Bring It On or Sixteen Candles. So, I give it three out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment