Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Taylor Swift Song "Shake It Off"

Now I do consider myself a Taylor Swift fan (see this earlier blog post I wrote about her songs). I love her country music, and even some of her pop songs like "I Knew You Were Trouble." But I have to say: I do NOT like her newest single, "Shake It Off." I have my reasons (in no particular order):

1. The lyrics are so repetitive and boring. She uses the word "shake" more than 70 times in this one song! The imagery in the lyrics of some of her other songs are so vivid and emotive, while this song is just full of simple rhymes. There's not much a story here: it's just a rant about shaking "it" off ("it" refers to many things, all of which are superficial like haters hating and players playing. Ugh, cliché, gag).

2. In the video she makes herself to look like other singers. In a way I can see why she would do this, because she's trying to change her image into a pop singer rather than a country music star. But why doesn't she create her own pop identity rather than mimicking other singer divas?

Taylor looks oddly like Lady Gaga right here, don't you think? 
This cheerleader routine is so reminiscent of Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl"
Only Gwen looks way hotter.
With these booty-shaking ladies behind her, Taylor could be any R&B/Rap singer. Ew.
 3. And while she doesn't look like Avril Lavigne, this song certainly has parts that sound like they were taken right from Avril's Best Damn Thing album. 

4. She makes fun of dancers the whole time in this music video. I don't know if she's just trying to make herself look cute, but it comes off as rude and uncultured. How can you make ballet into something silly? The same goes for the rythmic gymnastics shown, which is an Olympic sport! And I don't even like modern dance, but she mocks that art form in this video, too. Music is Taylor Swift's art, not dance, so she should stick with what she knows.

This is Swan Lake, Taylor, not the bunny hop.
Pretty pathetic jeté.
Maybe Taylor's hinting that she's going to dress up as a ghost for Halloween this year?
And she knows country music. Check out her early songs on YouTube. Those show her talent, not this rubbish.

*All the photos of Taylor are screen grabs from the music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment