Thursday, December 11, 2014

Movie Review: Happy Christmas [SPOILERS]


Image found at: http://goo.gl/hr8L2c
I got home early from work the other day, and since neither Divorce Court nor Family Feud happened to be on TV, I started skimming through Netflix. Since it's Christmas time, I figured I'd watch a Christmas movie I'd never seen before. I came across Happy Christmas, starring Anna Kendrick. She's pretty popular right now, so I thought, "How bad can it be?"

Um...I think this may be the worst Christmas movie ever. First of all, it's practically shot like a home movie. The picture is dark and grainy, the camera is moving all over the place, and at times it's difficult to hear the actors. All of this made me think that perhaps this was one of Kendrick's first movies, put onto Netflix now that she's Pitch Perfect famous. But no: this film is from 2014. So she has no excuse for her poor acting, saying "uh..." and stumbling over and repeating lines like she couldn't remember the script. I'm not even sure why she took this role. She plays a brokenhearted, immature young woman who's staying with her brother, sister-in-law, and their baby until...who knows what (she gets her shit together?). While staying with them, she gets drunk, high, and practically burns their house down. It's difficult for me to imagine a bigger loser than her character Jenny. Anyhoo...to make a long story short, there's a lot of dysfunction caused by this girl, and it's actually not a very happy Christmas at all (especially compared to the many other amazing Christmas movies; see my previous blog posts about those).

Image found at http://goo.gl/aeL38P
The only redeeming quality about this movie (and I can't believe I'm about to say this) was the baby Jude. He is such a happy, friendly, big baby that even I couldn't help smiling every time he was on screen. He's cute all the time: in the bathtub, dancing in the living room, making yummy noises while he eats Cheerios...Almost makes me think babysitting wouldn't be so bad. Almost.

So, yeah, one star for this one. Don't bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment