Friday, March 25, 2016

Movie Review: Batman vs. Superman [SPOILERS]

Image found here.
Last night, I saw Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Yes, that's right, I saw it on March 24, not March 25, which is supposed to be when the movie opens (as you can see from the poster). So, that was odd. Almost as odd as the movie itself.

I'm not a fan of superhero movies. Frankly, I'm quite sick of them: there are SO many of them, so many spin-offs....I wish someone would think of SOMETHING else to make a movie about. Anything! The only reason I saw this film was because Henry Cavill plays Superman, and he is fine.

I didn't plan on liking the movie, and I didn't. Here are my issues with the film:

1. While there might have been a plot, it was so convoluted that I got lost watching the movie. There's a little background to show the animosity between the two main characters, but there aren't enough flashbacks or explanations to make things 100% clear. Then there's bad guy after bad guy, fight sequence after fight sequence, and all I could think was, "Is this going anywhere?" Even Kevin Costner makes a cameo, which threw me off since this isn't a baseball movie. The path to resolution at the end (which every movie should have, but most superhero movies don't because they need a beloved sequel) was nowhere in sight and never came.

Yeah...No thumbs up for you, old Ben Affleck.
2. Ben Affleck is getting old. It's a little far-fetched that a man in his 40's is this powerful superhero. Affleck should have been Batman back when he was Daredevil (probably one of the worst superhero movies ever). He didn't miss his chance to play the role, but maybe he should have.

3. The bad guys didn't do it for me. Jesse Eisenberg plays Lex Luthor, the historical archenemy of  Superman. He acts awkward and strange...Wait, Eisenberg always is like that in films (The Social Network, anyone?). Is he really acting, or is that just how he is in real life? Although Eisenberg has never played Lex Luthor before, I felt like I had seen this character before. And as if one bad guy weren't enough, Lex Luthor also creates an over-the-top monster who looks like the love child between Jurassic World's T-Rex, Smeagol from Lord of the Rings, the Cyclops from Hercules, and Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.  See below:
Image found here.
+
Image found here.
+
Image found here.
Image found here.
 =
Image found here.
Yeah, I wasn't feeling this guy. He's just gross and loud and big. Whatever.

4. As stated, the ending was predictable for a superhero movie: it was just a set-up for a sequel. During the movie, we see little hints and clues about other characters like the Flash and Aquaman, so you know they'll pop up in the next movie (or the one after that. It's a never-ending cycle). At the end, Bruce Wayne (i.e. Batman when he's not in costume) is asking Wonder Woman to get in touch with these other superheros; when she asks, "Why do you say they'll have to fight," he responds, "I just have a feeling." Boom, great ending. But NO. Movies assume that their audiences are complete idiots and don't understand foreshadowing. So then we have a couple more minutes to show that Lex Luthor is insane and will be coming back as the villain (duh). This was completely unnecessary and redundant.

5. This movie is SO long at 2.5 hours! It's very difficult for me to sit still for more than 90 minutes, so this film just dragged on. Half-way through, I couldn't even pretend that I was entertained: I was bored and just counting down the minutes until I could leave. I don't see why the filmmakers feel like they have to cram everything into one super-long movie. They know there will be sequels, so why not just break it down into more movies? I was so over it that when touching scenes happened, I couldn't feel an emotional connection that I may have felt otherwise. For example, [BIG SPOILER here], after Superman dies, Lois Lane is at his country home with his parents, and she receives the engagement ring he was going to give her. That is SO sad, and yet I couldn't care less because I was so distracted by the fact that I had been sitting in the movie theater for so long and couldn't wait to get out of there. (Oh, and did I mention there was a half hour of previews before the movie? So yeah, I was sitting there for THREE hours....)

Honestly, the best part of the movie was how hot Gal Gadot is (she plays Wonder Woman). I wanted ALL of her outfits! Case in point:


Image found here.
I think I just found my next girl crush. At least something good came out of this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment