I happened to have a Safeway Monopoly coupon to get a free container of half-and-half. Since I'm not a coffee drinker, I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but I won't turn down free food! So I looked up some recipes, and I saw this one on AllRecipes.com for alfredo sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk the flour and garlic salt into the melted butter until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly beat the half and half into the sauce until completely incorporated.
- Stir the garlic, parsley, and Parmesan cheese into the sauce, whisking continually.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer; cook, stirring regularly, until the sauce has thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Use immediately or refrigerate.
But once the "sauce" was added to hot pasta, ground turkey, and steamed spinach that I had made, it melted quite nicely. I then sprinkled some bacon on top (I had cooked it, let it cool, and then snipped it into tiny pieces with scissors). YUM!