Friday, May 29, 2020

Recipe: Cheesy Garlic and Broccoli Crescent Wraps


I used this recipe from "The Night Owl Mama" blog very loosely. I knew I already had broccoli, Pillsbury crescent rolls, and shredded cheese on hand, so I figured I could pull it together. The website and the recipe itself were not laid out well, so I'm going to break it down for you and insert my thoughts and comments among them.

Here’s what you’ll need:
  • 1 Pillsbury Crescent roll
  • 1 pkg of Birds eye Broccoli florets
  • 1 1 pkg of mild cheddar cheese (our your favorite cheese)
  • 1 garlic and extra virgin olive oil (spice world)
Don't even get me started on the use of "our" instead of "or," or the intermittent use of capitalization. Anyway, I just used salt and pepper with the olive oil and forwent the garlic.

Step 1:
First I began by spreading out the Pillsbury Crescent roll. I wanted to make a larger pocket so I used 2 and sealed the lines together by pinching together the dough. Then separated the last 2 crescents for single bite sized portions.
I made four treats, each one using two of the crescent roll triangles.

Step 2:
I then headed up the Birds eye Broccoli in the microwave on 3 seconds. I love using this because it makes quick tasty fresh vegetables in no time flat. After the Broccoli was done I poured it into a bowl minus the water. I then took 1 table spoon of the Garlic and extra virgin olive oil mix and added it to the bowl. Next I took a chopper and went to work.
I think she means heated up as well as three minutes. I love those frozen, toss-in-the-microwave bags for veggies, but even they can't cook that fast. I steamed regular broccoli florets in the microwave (in a bowl, ahem), and then chopped it up into tiny pieces with a knife (no special "chopper"). After cutting the broccoli up, I mixed in the shredded cheese, olive oil, and spices.

Step 3:
Next you want to spoon out the mixture into the middle of the crescent. Use your best judgement on how much to place and make sure your still able to cover it with both sides of dough. Next you’ll want to put shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the mix.
Blergh, she doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're." What is the world coming to? But I digress... I spooned in about three tablespoons of the mixture into each of the four rectangles of dough I had laid out.

Step 4:
Fold up the sides to cover and pinch close. You’ll want to repeat the steps and finish up the rest of the crescents as I did. Place them on a pan or tray and get ready to bake. I used a pizza stone from Pampered Chef that I got last year. I love baking on this because the crust comes out almost perfect every time. Before this I used to always burn the crust on everything. Follow the directions on the Pillsbury container although I only baked mine for about 6-7 minutes when the crust looked done. Your oven time may vary.
I then folded the corners of the dough into the middle to make the tarts (one didn't really work out like that, so I just folded it upon itself). I will admit I missed the earlier direction to sprinkle cheese on top of the mix (I suppose it would have acted like a glue to hold the corners together), but I don't think it was really necessary. I used an ungreased cookie tray to cook mine; the bottom of the dough did stick a little bit, so perhaps her pizza stone idea would have been better. My treats took 10 minutes to cook. I don't know how hers were finished in 6-7 minutes when the package itself says to give them at least 9 minutes to cook. I figured it would actually take longer because the broccoli was wet and might delay the cooking of the inside of the dough.

Step 5:
Slicing into your beautiful creation. Slice into strips if you want to share or dig in with a fork if your eating it alone.
Mine were small enough to be handheld. No slicing or forks needed!

These were good, but not great. Crescent rolls are so delicious as they are, and I'm not really sure the filling actually made them any better. The bottoms got a bit soggy, and I think these treats could have been more flavorful, maybe with more and different spices. An okay snack, but I would have been just as happy with regular crescent rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment