Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Waffle House vs. IHOP


Ihop logo is from http://goo.gl/pqOsyC & Waffle House logo is from http://goo.gl/wzhSkl
Before this past weekend, I had never been to a Waffle House before. I had seen the signs with the big yellow letters, but had actually never been inside to eat there. Since I love the IHOP, I figured I'd give Waffle House a go.

There is no comparison: IHOP is awesome, Waffle House sucks. Here's why:

1. The IHOP has SO much more food to choose from! I looked at the Waffle House menu and thought, "This is it?" I even asked for the larger menu, which probably only had a handful more items than their basic menu. There are so many delicious breakfast foods, and I was sorry that I was so limited in my choices. Like, no omelets? What?!

2. Waffle House barely offers anything on their a la carte menu. I wanted to add an egg to my waffle order, and I just couldn't see on their menu where to find ONE egg! You either got two eggs, or some combo, but nothing simple. It was impossible to build my own breakfast! I either had to get one of the few combinations they offered, or get a single waffle.

3. I ordered a peanut butter waffle, since I love peanut butter and figured I had to order a waffle at Waffle House. I assumed "peanut butter waffle" meant peanut butter cooked into the batter. Uh, no. It was a handful of miniature peanut butter chips sprinkled on top of a plain waffle. Wow, like I couldn't do that at home...

4. The restaurant was quite small. It was like a tiny diner, where you can see the staff making the food. I don't want to see that. The waffle irons were dribbling batter down the sides, you see how long food sits there before it actually gets to the customer...Ew. The IHOP keeps the kitchen staff hidden so that I can enjoy my 1,000-calorie meal in ignorance of how it's actually made.

5. The service at Waffle House was so slow! I was sitting at the counter (the best view of the kitchen mentioned in #4), so you would think it would be easy enough for one of the seven people back there to notice that I had been sitting there for 15 minutes and had yet to be helped. And then it took another 20 minutes to whip up a glass of orange juice, some hash browns (plain), and the sorry excuse of a peanut butter waffle. I mean, really? I was in a rush, so then I had to scarf all that food down in ten minutes. Yum.

Going to the IHOP always makes me so happy. This single trip to Waffle House practically ruined my day. So the winner is clear. IHOP, you're awesome. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Well, as an employee, I am sincerely sorry you had such a horrible experience. We do serve omelets, actually. We have fiesta omelets, ham and cheese, mushroom, and you can add more for just $0.40 extra. Our "on the side" orders are all there, and I apologize that it isn't visible on our menus. It's easy, all it takes is asking. As for seeing the food being prepared, it's quite nice if the establishment is clean (which it should be if the salesperson does their side work). At least you know exactly what goes into your meal. The size is for most efficient and fast delivery of Hot Food. We do our best to put our customers before any other duty. Our motto is "Good Food Fast and Friendly". Unfortunately, not all establishments are created equal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to disagree with you the waffle is my food and i love waffle house the waffles at i hop is crunchy and worm the waffle at waffle house is hot and fresher . the i hop employees always take so long and one time it took them an HOUR to just get our food that is a long time AND IT WAS COLD so waffle house is signifigently better.

    ReplyDelete