Friday, December 11, 2015

2015 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show


Screen shot from here.
Every year I look forward to the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. This year I had to be very careful about spoilers, since the show took place days (if not weeks!) before the show aired on TV. I tried not to read any tweets or articles about the show, or even glance at photos. I wanted to be surprised! (I had this same issue last year, too!)

This year's show was very anti-climactic. For one, I had some of the same complaints as I did last year. The new girls just aren't very good (They have good bodies, but not necessarily pretty faces, and they aren't actually good at walking the runway!), and they are silly, pretending to kiss each other, smacking each other on the butt, playing with their boobs...They're not professional, and this is their job! I also thought the show was less over-the-top than in past years, although I agree with Candice Swanepoel (one of my faves) when she says that the music "makes it more than a fashion show." (See music videos below). I also didn't like that the name of the collections weren't shown on the TV screen like it was last year. If you missed the announcer say what the theme was, you missed it and had to guess! How hard is it to put some text on there?

The show started with a collection of "color vomit" (a term I used last year), with Behati Prinsloo no less, who I don't think is sexy at all (She even said walking the runway is "like performing in front of the whole world watching." Um, no shit.). I think the theme was something like psychedelic 70's (think of The Doors), and the music was not live, which was unfortunate. Fringe was everywhere in this collection, along with many capes. And there were so many wings, it's like they aren't even special anymore! Every other look had wings!

This was the opening look. Really? What's sexy about that? Image found here.
"But I don't want to be a pirate!" Screen shot.
Kendall Jenner in a Victoria's Secret Fashion Show! Image found here.
There is just too much to look at! What a mess! Image found here.
In those lace-up leather boots/chaps, she looks like a naughty angel! Screen shot.

"Portrait of an Angel" was the second collection. In general I liked this one because it was very romantic, and all of the fabrics looked luxurious. Some of the wings looked more like mobiles, and a lot of the outfits had weird bits around the models' midsections, which was strange. Let them show off their flat tummies! Well, except Izabel Goulart, since she has an outie belly-button. And I wasn't a big fan of all the puffy sleeves. They look stupid!


I'm not sure those count as wings... Image found here.
Not diggin' the sleeves... Image found here.
Looks like Belle got into a fight with the Beast... She was by far the worst walker, too! Image found here
TOO MANY PUFFY SLEEVES! Image found here.
I LOVE these sheer pants, though! Image found here.
I swear these gold wings were re-used from last year's show...Image found here.
These fabric wings are so romantic! Image is a screen shot from video listed below.
Another Disney princess gone wrong. It's pretty, but the juxtaposition of sweet/innocent and sexy is off-putting. Screen shot.
What is going on around her waist? Screen shot.
This feather coat is amazing. But again, why does she have a garter belt around her waist? Screen shot.
Her wings are a bow! This sheer fabric is one of my favorites. Screen shot.
Before the next collection, the models were interviewed about Instagram, and then some of the girls talked about being featured in Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" music video. I realize this is all part of pop culture, but can we please get on with the show? The next collection was all about butterflies. I love butterflies, and they have wings just like angels, so why not?

Gigi Hadid (the next "it" girl) moved her arms like wings! So pretty! Image found here.
Stella Maxwell is my least favorite model. She is NOT pretty! Image found here.
I didn't recognize Shanina Shaik (maybe I just forgot?), but she makes a great Goth Butterfly! Image found here.
These were some of my favorite wings of the night. Image found here.
She looks like a little girl playing dress-up... Image found here.
I'm apathetic about the nude underwear, but these butterfly wings are incredible! Image found here.
Still confused why there's all that fabric covering her stomach! Screen shot.
This capelet is so feminine and pretty! Screen shot.
I think her wings are supposed to look like that, but since one is in front and one is behind, they look broken! Screen shot.
This sparkly cape was the highlight piece for me of the show. I want it! Screen shot.
These were the largest wings of the show. You could tell they were heavy, and she looked in pain. She didn't fool any of us! (unlike Karolina Kurkova, who did it with grace). Screen shot.
The next part started with interviews of the models about their exercise routines. It's kinda hot how intense Jasmine Tookes is with her workouts! But I think it was a little bit of a stretch when one of the models said that getting ready for the fashion show was like "training for the Olympics." Umm...not quite. This collection featured the VS sport line along with the PINK line, which I thought was kind of neat. It's not as pretty, but it was a cool way to mix things up. I think this collection was supposed to be "All-American" of some sort?

Just wait...More earmuffs and mittens to come...Image found here.
Where do balloons come in when it comes to American pride...? Image found here.
Gigi as a firefighter. Kinda hot. Image found here.
This is so cheesy, like one of those cheap, sexy Halloween costumes! Image found here.
The flag and an astronaut...? Image found here.
I've never seen a cowgirl wear boots like that before... Image found here.
She's a...finish line? This outfit isn't very flattering... Image found here.
Her surfboard is her wings! Now that's creative! Image found here.
When we got back from the commercial break, the models were talking about Christmas memories and wished all of us watching a Merry Christmas. "Arch Angels" was the next collection, which had a winter theme. The runway looked like ice (think Frozen), and there were lit-up white Christmas trees! I really like the idea of this theme. Some outfits were awesome, but others flopped (i.e. "the usual").

These wings look like paper snowflakes! And this body suit is SO sexy! Image found here.
I get that it's a winter theme, but the ear muffs and mittens go too far. But the bridal lingerie is so pretty! Image found here.
Again, not loving the accessories. But the wings and actual lingerie are to die for! Image found here.
Why does Victoria's Secret get away with having their models wear headdresses? Screen shot.
Snow bunny #1. It's hard to see her big, white, fuzzy hat here... Screen shot.
Snow bunny #2! The jacket and goggle are kind of fun, I'll admit. Screen shot.
I could do without the cotton ball thing behind her, but this body suit is amazing. Screen shot.
So bejeweled! I love it! Image found here.
Eek, too sweet and cute! Screen shot.
Same critique: "meh" on the accessories, but the lingerie itself is lovely. Image found here.

The last collection was called "Fireworks." I thought it was pretty good, though I still don't understand why they couldn't have brought Katy Perry in to sing her hit "Firework."

These wings lit up! How cool! Image found here.
These look more like flowers than fireworks... Image found here.
And these wings spun around! That was cool, but I'm not sure what those snake things are... Image found here.
Love this big firework, but why wear a garter belt with no garters? Image found here.
More lights! Image found here.
I think the sparkly body suits were my favorite outfits of the night. They are so hot! Image found here.
Alessandra Ambrosio looked amazing as ever. Definitely one of my all-time favorite models! Image found here.
Adriana Lima deserves better than this ugly pink thing. Image found here.
Are those fireworks? Because all I could think of was Medusa. Screen shot.
These wings featured fireworks before they explode. Screen shot.
"Boom!" Love these star wings! Screen shot.

The featured performers were The Weeknd, Ellie Goulding, and Selena Gomez. Each performed a lesser known song first, but then sang their hits later on, which was better. Here are some videos:

 





Selena Gomez' performance was very much like Ariana Grande's was last year. She had too many back-up dancers, and she was too silly with the models (she smacked Gigi Hadid's butt! Rude!). I couldn't find a great video of her performance.

I think the biggest disappointment was the Fantasy Bra (i.e. made from gem stones). The bra isn't really that pretty, AND they chose Lily Aldridge to wear it! She is one of my least favorite Victoria's Secret models. That gap in her teeth! I just can't let it go.

"Yuck" on so many levels... Image found here.
 What were your thoughts about this year's fashion show? If you missed it, here's my review from last year.

2 comments: