Monday, January 11, 2016

Recipe: Fall Vegetable Curry



Again, this is another recipe that I've had in my recipe box for a while but only just made it for the first time recently. I thought it came out quite well, even with all of my substitutions!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
1 cup small cauliflower florets
1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato to pan and sauté for 3 minutes.

2. Decrease heat to medium. Add cauliflower, onion, and curry powder. Cook for 1 minute, stirring mixture constantly.

3. Add broth and add broth, salt, chickpeas, and tomatoes.

4. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

5. Sprinkle with cilantro/parsley; serve with yogurt.

I will admit that I barely stuck to the recipe, at least with the ingredients! The grocery store didn't have cauliflower, so I bought broccoli. BUT I didn't end up using the broccoli because I multiplied the recipe so many times that I didn't have room in the pan! I used a huge sweet potato (the whole thing!), a small can of peas (I left the liquid because I didn't use the broth that was called for), and half an onion. I also used WAY more curry powder, but in the end there was still only a hint of the curry flavor. I might recommend buying a curry sauce instead. Because the curry flavor is so mild, the yogurt really is unnecessary: you only need that for really spicy food! And I didn't bother with sprinkling the herbs.

Even with all these changes, I really liked what I made! So I recommend trying this recipe, even if you end up changing things as you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment