|Image found here.|
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Dash each ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- NOTE: I just used pumpkin pie spice, which was a lot easier!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub and pierce sweet potato; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the corn, tomato sauce and spices. Place in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, cut potato in half; scoop out the pulp and place in a small bowl. Mash with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
1. This recipe claims to make two (2) servings. Those are some HUGE servings! Mine made four (4) meals. It's about a quart of food!
2. I would recommend even using two (2) sweet potatoes. I bought a very large one, and it still wasn't enough to cover the top of the dish completely. So if you use two, just remember to use some extra milk and butter!
3. This recipe has no green food in it! I thought about adding something into the shepherd's pie, like peas, but I ended up just making brussels sprouts on the side. I recommend you do the same so this dish is a bit healthier!
Click here to find the recipe online.