Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Bach's Brandenburgs


Such a beautiful space! Image found here: http://goo.gl/lyo44X
While I was quite disappointed by the Great Noise Ensemble's recent performance I saw (you can click here to read that blog post), my ears were healed and my love of live music was restored the next night. My boyfriend and I went to see the National Philharmonic at the Strathmore Music Center.We see them several times a year to enjoy some classical music, but I think this may have been my favorite performance yet.

These pieces written by Johann Sebastian Bach in the early 1700's are simply beautiful. With the help of the harpsichord, I was instantly transported to a garden party in Pride and Prejudice times (okay, I realize that was 100 years later, but go with it), where children are playing croquet and ladies are strolling in the sunshine carrying parasols. This music just made me happy! I couldn't stop smiling! I think the only part I didn't like was the loud trumpet in the last piece, but other than that, I wanted to learn the waltz and dance with Elizabeth Bennet at some grand party.

Here are some clips you can listen to on YouTube (not the National Philharmonic, but you'll get the idea):

Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major
Brandenburg Concerto No. 6 in B-flat Major
Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G Major
Brandenburg Concert No. 2 in F Major

And then of course I started daydreaming about wedding planning and string quartets and where on earth I could rent a harpsichord...Don't get me started. I'm not even engaged!

No comments:

Post a Comment