Monday, September 12, 2016

Recipe: Apple Pie from Betty Crocker


Again, another apple recipe (this time from Betty Crocker) to use up all the honeycrisp apples I picked the other weekend!

Ingredients

Double-Crust Pastry (I used Walmart's brand)
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (~8 medium-sized apples)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Directions

  •  Heat oven to 425ºF. Prepare lower crust pastry in pie plate.
  • Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in large bowl. Stir in apples. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1/2 inch from rim of plate.
  • Roll other round of pastry. Fold into fourths and cut slits so steam can escape. Unfold top pastry over filling; trim overhanging edge 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute as desired. Cover edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
  • Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Serve warm if desired.
I always try to make recipes as simple as possible, hence why I use pre-made dough (I will never roll my own pie crust. I just don't see the point!). I didn't really bother to trim the top dough crust; I just pinched the edges with the lower one. I also didn't fold and cut the top crust like the recipe calls for; I thought the heart design I made on top was cute, but I do wonder if the slits were too small to let the steam out, so the filling was a bit runny. My pie also took MUCH longer to bake than the recipe says. The last apple pie I made took 75 minutes to bake, so I would suggest letting the pie bake for at least an hour.

I enjoyed this pie with whipped cream rather than ice cream. Just as decadent!

No comments:

Post a Comment