Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Supporting the Arts in April

I have seen three plays, two ballets, and one concert this month, and it's only half-way over! I already wrote blog posts about the New York City Ballet, the Mariinsky Ballet, and Brave Spirits' "As You Like It."  Rather than write separate blog posts for the others (I have a bunch of events coming up for work, so I just don't have time!), I thought I'd sum them up here.

Image found here
Ghost-Writer

I read about this play in the DC Theatre Scene e-blast. Since the performance was held at the Writer's Center in Bethesda (SUPER closer to where I live), I definitely wanted to see it.

This Michael Hollinger play was put on by the Quotidian Theatre Company. It is about a typist who, after her author boss passes away, still hears his voice and is continuing to type his book. The cast was very small: Carol Spring played the typist, Steve LaRocque was the author, and Stephanie Mumford played the author's wife. I thought all three actors did a great job in encompassing their characters. The story had some sad and serious parts, but overall was very witty. As someone who can be sensitive to noises, the incessant ringing of the telephone and typing of the typewriter were at times obnoxious, but all in all I very much enjoyed the production.

Image found here
Shear Madness

This show has been going on for decades at the Kennedy Center (the website says there have been more than 13,000 performances). I had heard about it, but all I knew was that it was an interactive play. I can't believe I waited so long to see it: it is HILARIOUS! The premise is that there has been a murder in the building that houses a hair salon, and the audience is there to help solve the crime. The first act is just getting to know the characters (the sassy gay hairdresser, Tony Whitcomb (played by Brad Letson), was my favorite), and it ends with the murder; the second act gives the audience the chance to ask questions about the murder and then vote on who-dun-it. I am not sure how much the first act changes, but the second part changes depending on how the vote goes. And the show is updated every so often, so many of the jokes were timely (think Trump jokes, etc.).  I was laughing out loud the whole time, and I would highly recommend it! I've even see it again, since it's different every time!

Image found here
The Wild Reeds

I had seen this group perform previously at the Strathmore and the 9:30 Club. This time I got to see them at U Street Music Hall (I don't think I'd been there since 2016!).

The opening act was Valley Queen, whose female vocalist sounded just like you'd expect from an indie band. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but it was a little expected. Here are some of their songs:

Supergiant

My Man

In My Place

And here's a video from their NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert:


The Wild Reeds then played a (very long) set. We didn't get out of there until nearly 11pm, and it was a Tuesday night! I do like their music, but I was actually falling asleep while I was watching. Here's just a taste of their stuff:

Lose My Mind

Don't Pretend

Giving Up On You

They did a Tiny Desk Concert, too!


The arts are one of my favorite parts about living in DC: there's SO much here!

No comments:

Post a Comment