Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Trip to New York City

My dad and I visited my grandmother in New York City for Passover last weekend. We enjoyed not one but two seders, and also went into Manhattan for some tourist-ing. Here were the highlights of our trip into the city.

Image found here
 The Museum of the Dog

When I was looking up things to do in NYC over the weekend, I happened across the website of this museum. It's managed by the American Kennel Club. It's a bit overpriced at $15 per person for a museum that takes less than an hour to go through. But I'll consider it a one-time donation to the cause. It was cool seeing paintings, drawings, and sculptures of dogs, and they have a library full of dog books, too! Here are some of the pieces we saw:

I'm partial to the Frenchie myself. Image found here
This Westie is so cute! Image found here

These Great Danes were spectacular! Image found here.
This is the skeleton of Belgrave Joe, the dog that helped establish the fox terrier breed. He died in the late 1880's, and his skeleton was kept at the Royal Veterinary College in England before going to the museum. Image found here

Architecture
I love the top of the Chrysler Building. It is so cool!
After the museum trip, we walked around the 42nd Street area and saw some of my favorite spots, including the lobby of the Chrysler Building and Grand Central Station. I also discovered that the nearby Chanin Building has an art deco style to it, so I enjoyed that as well.

These first two photos are from the mural that is on the ceiling in the lobby of the Chrysler Building. The mural, called "Transport and Human Endeavor," was created by Edward Trumbull. He painted it on canvas, and then it was cemented to the ceiling. The mural is one of the largest paintings in the world.
Image found here
Image found here
The design on the elevator doors features wood from several different trees, including Japanese Ash, Oriental Walnut, and Cuban plum pudding wood. Image found here.
Grand Central Station with the MetLife Building behind it.
The ceiling in Grand Central is so cool: the zodiac signs span the whole thing, with lights marking the main stars. Image found here.
I had never been inside the Chanin Building before, but they had these really cool metal pieces of artwork in their lobby. I wish they sold postcards with these designs!



Lunch in Bryant Park

Image found here
I always love visiting Bryant Park, no matter what time of year it is. My dad and I got very expensive sandwiches at the Breads Bakery food kiosk in the park, and then sat in the sunshine enjoying our lunch. It is rather cliché, but I love doing that kind of thing!

*I'm sorry that I did not take most of the pictures included in this post. It's just that I actually wanted to enjoy the experience and enjoy the moment, instead of taking pictures the whole time!

No comments:

Post a Comment