Thursday, December 24, 2020

Recipe: Banana Oat Muffins


When my parents go on vacation, they always overbuy groceries. Like, there are only three of us, and one of us is only here for a week. And yet we have four different kinds of bread, a million beverages (alcoholic and innocent), and a fridge that can barely close. 

We had bought a big bunch of bananas, and I think we had only used one, and that was in pancakes. They were already getting brown dots, so we had to do something with them. I looked up online that one cup of mashed bananas is roughly three medium-sized bananas, so I thought I'd bake something to use some of them up.

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. While it's not a great recipe (it doesn't even tell you to preheat the oven!), I had all of the necessary ingredients, and with three steps, it looked pretty easy.

Ingredients

  •          1.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  •          1 cup rolled oats
  •          ½ cup white sugar
  •          2 tsp. baking powder
  •          1 tsp. baking soda
  •          ½ tsp. salt
  •          1 egg
  •          ¾ cup milk
  •          1/3 cup vegetable oil
  •          ½ tsp. vanilla extract
  •          1 cup mashed bananas

Directions

1. Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt.

2. In a large bowl, beat the egg lightly. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the mashed banana, and combine thoroughly. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper bake cups, and divide the batter among them.

3. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.

I did accidentally forget the baking soda, so my muffins may not have risen as much as they should have. They're pretty dense (and the extra banana I used probably didn't help). I also didn't have any of the paper liners for the muffin tins, so I just used vegetable oil and rubbed that in the tins (which worked fine). The muffins were very light in color; I'm not sure if that was an oven issue, but I kept them in there for more than 20 minutes and they remained blonde. They definitely taste better if you pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds before eating them. So not my best work, but not horrible either.

No comments:

Post a Comment