Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Recipe: Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars


I made a pumpkin roll this weekend (see that blog post here), but I was still in a baking mood. Plus, I had opened a huge can of pureed pumpkin for the first recipe, so I figured I'd use some more of it in another recipe. This time I thought I'd try making pumpkin bars/brownies, and this recipe from the Averie Cooks blog looked yummy and easy (that second part is critical). 

INGREDIENTS

·          1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted

·          1 large egg

·          3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)

·          1 cup light brown sugar, packed

·          1 tablespoon vanilla extract

·          2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

·          1 teaspoon cinnamon

·          1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

·          1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons, for sprinkling

INSTRUCTIONS

1.      Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.

2.      In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.

3.      Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it. Add the egg, pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and whisk until smooth.

4.      Add the flour and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.

5.      Stir in 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips.

6.      Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.

7.      Evenly sprinkle with 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, smoothly the top lightly with a spatula.

8.      Bake for about 32 to 33 minutes, or until done. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. The moisture content in pumpkin varies, as do climates and ovens; bake until yours are done.

9.      Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.

I still had yet to buy more brown sugar, so I just used one cup of regular granulated sugar. I also only put one cup of chocolate chips into the batter; I find that using more than one cup of anything chocolate in a pumpkin recipe means the chocolate will overpower the other flavors. 

These are very soft and chewy, and not too sweet! Honestly, I think I could have even used fewer chocolate chips and they still would be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment