Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Recipe: No-Bake Chocolate Raspberry Pie


My husband sent me this recipe from the Home Cooking Adventure blog over text. He claims he wasn't asking me to make it, but he certainly didn't seem to mind it when I told him I'd make it for him!

Ingredients

Oreo Cookie Crust
  • 7 oz (200g) Oreo cookies
  • 1/4 cup (60g) butter, melted
Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling
  • 4 oz (120g) semisweet chocolate
  • 1/4 cup (60g) whipping cream
  • 9 oz (250g) cream cheese , room temperature
  • 3 tbsp (24g) powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream (35% fat), chilled
Raspberry Sauce
  • 5 oz (150g) raspberries , fresh or frozen
  • 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
  • 1 tbsp (15g) lemon juice
  • 2 tsp (6g) cornstarch
  • For Decoration
  • fresh raspberries
  • powdered sugar , for dusting
  • mini chocolate rocks
For Decoration
  • fresh raspberries
  • powdered sugar for dusting
  • mini chocolate rocks
Directions
 
1. Grease with butter an 8-inch (20cm) pie or tart pan.
2. Prepare the raspberry sauce.
  • In a small saucepan add raspberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
  • Simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until thickens. Remove from heat and set aside to cool down until ready to use.
3. Prepare the crust.
  • Place the Oreo cookies into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until crumbs form. Add melted butter and process until completely combined.
  • Press the mixture with the back of the spoon and your fingers where necessary, into the bottom and edges of the pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  • Spread the raspberry sauce over the crust. Freeze until you prepare the chocolate filling.
4. Prepare the chocolate cream cheese filling.
  • Place semisweet chocolate and ¼ cup (60g) cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let cool to room temperature.
  • In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Mix in the melted chocolate. Add whipping cream and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
5. Assemble the pie.
  • Cover the raspberry sauce with the chocolate cream cheese filling. Smooth the top.
  • Refrigerate the pie to set for about 4-6 hours or even overnight.
  • Decorate with fresh raspberries, chocolate mini rocks and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
As usual, I tried to make the recipe as easy as possible, but there were a few hiccups. For one, I didn't want to make my own Oreo crust. I know pre-made ones exist, but I couldn't find one for the life of me! Not at Target, not at Publix, not at Aldi. So I bought Oreos to do it myself. The recipe calls for seven ounces; why not just tell me the number of cookies, or just say half the package?

I had also counted on Marshall's having raspberry syrup (that's where I always buy it!), because I was NOT going to make my own raspberry sauce (I already had to make the crust!). But the store did have a nice jar of raspberry preserves, so I went with that. 

I also only had regular heavy whipping cream, so I never got the "peaks" as described in the directions. Maybe I should have incorporated Cool-whip? And I did refrigerate the pie for a while, and then I second-guessed myself and thought I should have put it in the freezer, so I did that for a little while, too. AND I had bought the raspberries several days before making the pie, so by the time the pie was actually made, many of them had started to grow mold. What a waste, especially when they are already expensive!

But even with all of this going on, the pie turned out great. It was delicious, and Steve couldn't stop making yummy noises while eating it. The recipe wasn't too hard, but it was more steps than something I would normally make. But maybe I'd make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment