Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Christmas movie #6: Love Actually
Really, this should have been #1, because it's my favorite Christmas movie. But I wanted to re-watch it before I wrote this post so that I would be super-pumped to tell you all about it! The best part of this movie is the fact that there are so many characters and different story lines. You have:
1. The young British Colin Frissell (Kris Marshall) who heads off to America to find love (ok...sex),
2. The broken-hearted author (Colin Firth) who falls for the Portuguese maid (Lúcia Moniz) even with the language barrier,
3. The 11-year-old boy (Thomas Sangster) who feels "the total agony of love" for the popular girl at school (Olivia Olson),
4. The old rock star (Bill Nighy) who realizes his manager (Gregor Fisher) is the "love of his life,"
5. The handsome British Prime Minister (Hugh Grant) who loves the voluptuous assistant (Martine McCutcheon),
6. The baggage-ridden Sarah (Laura Linney) who's desperately in love with her co-worker hottie Karl (Rodrigo Santoro),
7. The story of love lost when Liam Neeson's character loses his wife,
8. The traditional tale of adultery between boss (Alan Rickman, also known as Professor Snape) and secretary (Heike Makatsch) with the poor wife (Emma Thompson) staying strong for the sake of the children,
9. The actor stand-ins Martin Freeman and Joanna Page who fall in love while working naked with one another,
10. The love-sick Mark (Andrew Lincoln) who obsesses over Juliet (Keira Knightley) even though she married his best friend Peter (Chiwetel Ejiofor),
...and I think that's all. It's just a sweet story of all different kinds of love, how complicated or simple they are, and how love actually "is all around." So fun, so cute, I can't say enough about this movie!