As Easter was approaching, I didn't know how to celebrate (food-wise) besides eating jelly beans. But I remembered as a kid eating some edible nests. I found a recipe online at AllRecipes.com, and they turned out great! I think this is a Kosher recipe, so you could make them for Passover, too!
(Makes 12 servings)
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 6 ounces white confectioners' coating
- Bag of your favorite jelly beans or malt ball eggs
- In a small bowl, mix food coloring with milk; add coconut and mix until evenly tinted; set aside.
- Melt confectioners' coating over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring every 15 to 30 seconds until smooth. Mix with coconut mixture and place by spoonfuls on waxed paper. Shape mixture like a bird's nest, making a slight indentation in the center of each one.
- Cool completely and decorate by placing candies in the center of each nest.