Friday, June 7, 2013

Psalms 40:1-3



Now, I don't read the Bible. I mean, I took a course on the Old Testament in college, but I've only read excerpts of the most famous book in the world. And the only part I remember is Genesis. But through Twitter and different websites, I sometimes come across quotes from the Bible that speak to me. Here's one:

I waited patiently for God to help me; then He listened and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, of praises to our God...        Psalms 40:1-3

After I graduated from college, I was a complete mess. I was heartbroken, unemployed, and living with my parents in the middle of nowhere. It was the lowest point of my life...

I had always been the one who had my s*** together, the one who always followed the path of success. I was the kind of person who couldn't possibly answer the college application essay with the topic "Write about a time when you faced adversity and how you overcame it." I thought, "Adversity? What's that?" I won't say things came easily to me: I worked hard in school for good grades and busted my butt looking for internships during college. But all in all, I was very blessed while growing up: I had a family who supported me emotionally and monetarily, and who always wanted the best for me. And that's what I had. The best of everything for their little girl.

And then the time came when they couldn't give me everything I wanted. They couldn't give me my dream job. They couldn't cure my broken heart. I'm sure they felt just as helpless as I did, seeing me cry every single day and having to hear me say that I wished I could fall asleep and never wake up. There was nothing they could do, and nothing I could do either. I sent out over one hundred cover letters and resumes; I interviewed for who knows how many jobs. And nothing was happening. I've always been a believer of taking destiny into your own hands, but as hard as I was trying, nothing was coming my way.

So I prayed. I prayed every day (sometimes multiple times a day). Sometimes I prayed so hard I had tears streaming down my face sobbing that God would answer my prayers. And you know what? He did? After months of job searching, I landed the perfect job. It was in a city, it was for an organization I admired, it was a fun job, it paid well...It was everything I could ask for. And in just a few weeks everything fell into place: my mother and aunt found me a cute apartment, we moved all my stuff in, and I started my job. I was back on track.

I know that God was the reason for this. He "heard my cry" and in turn led me back to the right path, the path that I had wavered from for the first time in my life. And I have Faith that He is with me at all times, guiding me on that road to my destiny. While I do have some control over my life (I'm sure God doesn't care what I eat for breakfast), I know that as I move forward, all of the events that have an impact on my life are due to Him and His will. This experience of loss was horrible to go through, but it brought me closer to God, and for that, I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment