Sunday, April 7, 2013

It's no fun being sick!


Since I've been sick this weekend, I figured I should write a blog post about it. But rather than get into the gross details (vomiting, liquid diarrhea, etc.), I'll just talk about what you should do when you're sick.

1. Get plenty of sleep! I have laid in bed all weekend. Your body is telling you it needs rest so it can focus all of its energy on fighting off whatever bug you have! So even if you feel super-lazy (for someone who is very task-oriented and always likes to being doing something, laying around for 48 hours is very difficult), it's okay to take a day or two off from your life and not think about anything except getting better. And if you're having a hard time falling asleep because you're feeling so sick or achy, I recommend taking an anti-histamine. One of their side effects is drowsiness, so taking Benadryl or Hydroxizine should help; I was out like a light!

2. Make sure to hydrate! My personal preference is ginger ale (although I bet water is better for you). Of course when you're feeling sick you may not want to eat or drink anything because you are afraid you'll just throw it right back up. But even taking little sips is better than nothing. I would allow myself three sips every 20 minutes. This would get some liquid in me without putting too much in my stomach.

3. Take it easy! Even after you're feeling a little (or a lot) better, still take things slow. It can take a little while for your body to recuperate fully, so you don't want to push it too soon. So still lay low at home, hang out mostly in bed, no physical activity, etc. The more time you give your body to recover, the faster the process will be. 

The #1 rule is to listen to your body! If you're hot, strip down, even using a cold wet washcloth on any parts of your body that feel overheated. If you're cold, put on more layers and snuggle with a big blanket. Whatever your body is telling you, do what it says!

No comments:

Post a Comment