Monday, April 29, 2013

Quote to ponder...


"It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to has power over you...if you allow it." -Leon Brown

Okay, I'm sure my readers are starting to tire of all of my blog posts focused on words of inspiration or deep thought. But I can't help it! Quotes like that speak to me, and since this is my blog, that's what you're gonna have to read about today. 

I am an over-thinker. I obsess over everything. I recently read an article on beliefnet.com that said perfectionists always think about the past or the future rather than living the present. That describes me to a T. I'm either thinking about what happened in the past and how I could have done it better, or I'm thinking about the future and where my life is taking me. And I will admit that these thoughts do consume me rather frequently: I can easily ponder for hours why X happened or if Y will ever happen to me or if Z person is ever going to come around, etc. (hence why I don't like spending time alone, because this is inevitably what's going to happen). So, yes, I do let my obsessing have power over me. 

But I am trying to work on it. Whenever thoughts about things I can't control (i.e. the past, future, time itself) enter my mind, I try to push them away with other thoughts of the present. What always brings me back is thinking how wonderful my life is right now, right at this moment. So much of my life is perfect: I have family and friends who are always there for me, I have a great apartment in an awesome city, I have my dream job...So if I'm worried about the future, I try to tell myself, "Don't think about what's going to happen, because you'll never know until the time comes. Think about how great things are now." And then I convince myself that because things are great now, they will be in the future, too. Not that I'm building up high expectations or anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment