Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For"

This week clearly is going to have a musical theme (and not on purpose!). I'm just frequently inspired by music (even though I myself am not a musical person. Playing the recorder in 5th grade killed any interest in learning how to play anything else). So here we go.

Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For" is a great girl-power song (okay, now I've got a running theme on Feminism...). It's an autobiographical song about Stefani leaving the group No Doubt and becoming a solo singer, but I think all women can relate to parts of the song. Take this stanza for example:

Naturally I'm worried if I do it alone
Who really cares cuz it's your life
You never know, it could be great
Take a chance cuz you might grow

Maybe you're making a change in your life, like moving to a new city or taking a new job. It can be scary, making that decision and not knowing if it's all going to work out. BUT you have to take that chance, because what if it does work out? Then "it could be great"! Have no doubt and go after your dreams! (You see what I did there?)

And even as a strong woman, you may still find barriers in society that could hold you back: 

Your moment will run out
Cuz of your sex chromosome
I know it's so messed up how our society all thinks
Life is short, you're capable

But you can't listen to the critics! You are "capable" of doing what you want, no matter what people are telling you. And of course we're all hoping society will reach the point of true equality between men and women, so you have to strive for your goals to bring us closer to the greater one as a whole.

So, if you want a song to pump you up and tell you, "You go, girl!" then this is one of my favorites. Any other girl kick-ass songs you like?




No comments:

Post a Comment