Thursday, July 18, 2013

Moist and Minty Brownies

Last night I tried a new recipe. To celebrate a co-worker's 15th anniversary at the organization, we wanted to throw a little party, and I volunteered to bring some sort of dessert. I wanted to make something pretty easy, but also wanted to try something new (I've made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies too many times...). So I looked through my Nestle cookbook, and here is the recipe I decided upon.

Moist and Minty Brownies

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 cups (9 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 container (16 oz.) prepared vanilla frosting
  • 1 tube (4 1/2 oz.) chocolate decorator icing

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 9-inch-square baking pan.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Combine sugar, butter and water in medium saucepan. Bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. (Or, combine sugar, butter and water in medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 3 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time. Stir until smooth.)

ADD 1 cup morsels, peppermint extract and vanilla extract; stir until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stir in flour mixture and remaining morsels. Spread into prepared baking pan.

BAKE for 20 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely (center will sink) in pan on wire rack.

SPREAD vanilla frosting over brownie. Squeeze chocolate icing in parallel lines over frosting. Drag wooden pick through chocolate icing to feather. Let stand until frosting is set. Cut into bars.
 ***
Now, you will note that I changed the icing a bit. I went to the store to get chocolate chips, and when I saw a tube of edible green glitter icing, I had to buy it. So I used that instead on top of the white icing (which, by the way, 12 ounces is plenty. You do not need 16 ounces!). Then I got a little creative and added a couple more chocolate chips on top. I know it doesn't look perfect, but that way you know it's homemade!

For more great baking recipes, visit: http://www.verybestbaking.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment