Saturday, February 23, 2013

Count Your Blessings

"It's a great day to be alive/I know the sun's still shinin' when I close my eyes"
-Travis Tritt/Darrell Scott

Since graduation, I sometimes go through these spells of feeling like I don't have direction, or wondering what I'm doing with my life, etc. (you know, all those angst-y things I should have gotten out of my system in high school; obviously I've hit mental puberty super-late). But I know that I have an amazing life and that I should be thankful for everything I have. I have a supportive, loving family who is always there for me; My friends are amazing and bring so much light to my life; My job is so much fun, plus I get to help a good cause that I believe in at the same time; the list could go on and on. And although I thank God for all of these things every night before I go to sleep, sometimes my prayers are more like a broken record, rather than me actually focusing on the words as I say them. I don't want to take anything for granted, because I know there are millions, BILLIONS, of people in the world who would give anything to be in such a fortunate situation as I am. So whenever I feel depressed or I'm questioning my life's purpose, I always try to go back to the things I'm sure of, the things that bring me joy, and I remind myself that I've got it so good. I know I should be satisfied with my life just as it is: I just have to keep telling myself that. I know things could be SO much worse, and it's greedy of me to ask for anything more than what I have. So count your blessings, and don't ask for more of them. Be thankful for what you have, because that may be all you're gonna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment