Monday, October 7, 2013

Enjoying nature quietly



I love getting outdoors, whether it's hiking, kayaking, or just strolling through a nature park. And one thing I love most about nature are the sounds. The birds, the leaves rustling, the water rippling...It's all so calming and relaxing. I think that's why I don't mind being at the back of the pack when it comes to hiking in a group. While everyone else is yabbering away (and scaring all of the animals away with their loud voices), I like to hang back and actually appreciate the land we're exploring. Don't get me wrong, I like to talk to friends while we're out and about, but I like that for most of the time, we're just taking everything in. I was really surprised when I was hiking in Bull Run Mountains Nature Preserve to see a horde of tourists walking along with a mini boom box blaring music. What a weird place to do that! I can see enjoying some tunes at a backyard barbeque, or even at the beach, but on a hike? Why didn't they just go to a club if they wanted to hear foreign electronic music? I just felt it wasn't the place to do that.

Quiet chit chat doesn't bother me, but boisterous conversation and loud music are not appropriate for trying to enjoy nature.

*Photo is from the Potomac Gorge on the Maryland side. This is one of my favorite nature walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment