Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Be a Creature Unlike Any Other"


This is Rule #1 from the book The Rules: Time-tested Secrets to Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right (written by Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider). I received a copy of this book upon my high school graduation in 2007 from my mother. Yes, the idea of this book seems completely old-fashioned: it's as if it were taken right out of the 1950's, when women were sent to college simply to meet men and then were expected to spend the rest of their lives cooking, cleaning, and raising children.

However, as a woman who has read this book at least 5 times (There are so many rules that I need to refresh my memory every couple of years), the purpose of this book is not to marry you off in the old sense. Many of the rules actually empower you to be in control while you're on the dating scene, rather than answering to the whim of fickle men. But, I like Rule #1 the best. "Be a Creature Unlike Any Other." Embrace yourself! You are unique: no one else is like you. This year, take it upon yourself to love each and every part of you, including your flaws (whether that be your temper, your jealous nature, your cellulite...). Self-acceptance is a very important part of happiness, and once you reach the point of saying, "I love myself just the way I am," you will be amazed what that positive energy can bring to your life. You'll be more confident at work, be a strong role model for your friends, and, yes, you may just attract the man you've been looking for.

If you would like to order a copy of The Rules, want to read modern-day rules (Do you let him text you first? Can you follow his best friend on Facebook?), or even set up your own meeting with Ellen or Sherrie, check out The Rules website.

No comments:

Post a Comment