Thursday, January 3, 2013

Meditation


I have always been one of those people who has a hard time relaxing. I'm always looking for things to do, places to go, people to see; I just can't sit still! It's gotten to the point that I even have a hard time sleeping through the night. But I have found a cure: meditation. And I don't mean sitting in a cross-legged position humming "Ohm" to myself.

I suppose I see the words 'meditation' and 'reflection' as synonyms. At night, just for a couple of minutes, I like to sit in bed, close my eyes, and breathe deeply. Sometimes I just focus on my breath to center myself, but most of the time, I sit there reflecting upon my emotional state at that moment. Am I fulfilled by my job? Would I be content to be single for the rest of my life? Am I frustrated that I don't have everything figured out? Forcing myself to think about such things head-on makes me feel stronger and more in control, even if it's just in that one moment.

So I recommend that you try meditating, too! You could be completely dedicated and go to a yoga class multiple times a week, or you could simply take a few minutes out of your day to reflect upon yourself, your life, your place in the world, etc. This is being self-centered, but in a good way!

No comments:

Post a Comment