Thursday, January 31, 2013

Eat Left Overs!


If there is one thing I can't stand (okay...there are probably a million things I can't stand, but this particular complaint is pretty high on the list), it's when people waste food. I don't know if this was beat into me as a child or now that I'm on a budget the idea of throwing away any form of sustenance seems like throwing money down the drain, but either way, I just refuse to let food go bad. Most recipes are meant for a couple of portion sizes, so when I am cooking for myself, I am bound to have plenty of food left in the pan. I actually do this on purpose: now I have lunch for work for the rest of the week! If I didn't eat left overs, I'd be making PB&J for myself every morning before heading to the office, which would be pretty sad. And frequently I eat only half of my meal at restaurants so that I purposefully will have leftovers for the next day (one, cutting all meals in half is actually a good idea to maintain your weight, but two, this is a very easy way to enjoy a gourmet meal TWICE!). And of course there's the old saying, "There are children in Africa who are starving!" Of course you eating your meal will not magically feed those poor kids, but the idea is a good one: appreciate all the food that you have, enjoy it, and don't let it go to waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment