Monday, January 28, 2013

Leading Lady


"You're supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake!" -Kate Winslet in The Holiday

I love this movie, and I love this quote. I can't stand when women let life just happen to them, like they are passive actors in their own lives. Make your own destiny! Don't stand idly by waiting for the right job to come along or the right man to ask you out: make it happen! And don't take the easy route, either. Sure, I could have taken the first job offer I was given: I would have been canvassing door to door for Environment America making $25K a year (slave wages in this day and age). But instead I spent six months living with family and sent over 100 cover letters until I landed my dream job with The Nature Conservancy. Networking didn't get me the job, and I didn't take the job because I had friends there. I worked hard for what I really wanted, and I didn't just follow the pack. I make decisions for MY life for ME and no one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment