Thursday, January 10, 2013

Take your vitamins!


Since it's January, many people have made the resolution to lose weight this year. This usually involves a lot of dieting. While diets certainly help people shed those extra pounds, changing how you eat can affect your health in negative ways, too. If you decide to cut out dairy products, where are you getting your calcium? If you're going to become a vegetarian, what about your iron, which usually comes in the form of protein? Of course there are food substitutes (spinach seems to have every vitamin in it you can imagine, which is why I try to eat it ALL the time). But you may not be getting all the vitamins and minerals that you need. Every morning I take a multivitamin as well as a calcium pill (young women should get LOTS of calcium. I have friends who poo-poo this idea, and all I can think is, "Well, I hope you like osteoporosis!"). Now I have heard that you shouldn't take some vitamins together, or that you should take them at different times a day; I cannot prove or disprove these theories, but quite frankly I don't have time to worry about that. I feel better just taking them, and so should you!

No comments:

Post a Comment