Friday, May 24, 2013

Drink more water!


I think this is one health tip that is ignored all too often. You know how you've heard to drink 8 glasses of water a day? Well, there's a reason for that! Your body is at least 70% water, so you need water to survive! Water not only keeps you hydrated, but it also helps cleanse your system and remove toxins and waste from your body. Both good things, right? So when you drink a lot of water, you feel better, and you look better, too! I guarantee your skin will show an improvement just by drinking more water (hmm, that should have been in my post about dry skin...).

Now, I'll be honest: I don't drink 8 glasses of what a day. But here are some of the things I do to make sure I get at least a few glasses in:

1. I always keep a glass of water at my desk at work. I don't drink too much water at home, but at work, I drink at least 3 glasses a day. I don't even think about it. I'm just busy sending emails, taking notes, sitting in meetings, and unconsciously I take a sip every once in a while. This way you're not thinking, "Ugh, I need more water to stay hydrated." You just automatically do it!

2. Take a water bottle with you to the gym. I frequently see people who work out without one and then go to the water fountain maybe once or twice while they're at the gym. With all that sweating, you need to replace that moisture in your body! I cannot work out without a water bottle with me: every couple of minutes I need a sip! This is important so you do not become dehydrated. And again: you won't really need to think about this one. You'll just naturally feel thirsty, and then naturally take a drink. That's it!

3. Have water as a snack. Now this decision you do have to consciously make. When you're getting hungry, but you know you're going to have a meal an hour or two later, you're going to want a snack. So while you may be thinking of having some potato chips or candy or other junk food to tide you over, replace those thoughts by drinking a glass of water. Water fills up your stomach just like food does, but it has ZERO calories (okay, so does Coke Zero, but that has chemicals and unnatural sweeteners and the like. Water is 100% natural!). This way, you can wait until lunch/dinner without feeling starving or feeling too full once your meal comes around!

So, readers: any tricks or tips on how you stay hydrated?

No comments:

Post a Comment