Saturday, August 3, 2013

ANTM Cycle 20: Boys vs. Girls

So, I've watched most (if not all) of the cycles of America's Next Top Model (ANTM). The show, which was Tyra Banks' brainchild, has been  around for 10 years, so I've watched a lot of ANTM. But Cycle 20, which premiered last night, is the first season to feature both male and female [potential] models.

I'm torn between this idea. In a way, it definitely makes things more interesting, and I think it's about time that male models get more chances like that to put themselves on the map (For example: can  you name three male supermodels? Didn't think so. But lady top models? I'm sure you can name several.). But I do believe that fashion modelling will always be a female-dominated realm: women's fashion is forever-changing and transforming, while men have been wearing pants, shirts with buttons, and something around their necks for centuries. I can appreciate the beauty of both the male and female forms, so I'm looking forward to pair photographs. Androgyny is also something that is visually intriguing (see this photo of a runway show from an episode of Project Runway), so I hope that's incorporated into a lot of the photo shoots this season. I guess we'll just have to see who wins: Boys or Girls?

No comments:

Post a Comment