Friday, August 16, 2013

Velveeta Cheese

I'm writing about Velveeta cheese because I've been eating it for about, hmm, let's say the last three weeks. You may be asking yourself, "Why is this girl eating such quantities of fake orange cheese?" For starters, you have to buy it in one huge brick of 32 ounces. I have a Velveeta cookbook, so every once in a while I like to make a recipe from it, but once I've got the brick, I have to use it. A LOT.

The recipes I use are pretty easy, and most of them are casseroles, so that gives me a week's worth of lunches. And I wouldn't say they are healthy, but I get my carbs and meat from the dish and add a side-salad or side of spinach or broccoli, so I think this makes for a "balanced" meal. Here are two of my favorites:

Cheesy Italian Pasta Bake


1-1/2 cups pasta (any shape), uncooked

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)

1 large zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup)

1 red pepper, chopped

1 can (8 oz.) pizza sauce

1/2 lb. (8 oz.) Velveeta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

HEAT oven to 350ºF. Cook pasta as directed on package. Meanwhile, brown meat in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat; drain. Stir in vegetables and sauce; cook 5 min. or until vegetables are tender. Drain pasta. Add to meat mixture along with Velveeta; mix well.
SPOON into 8-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with Parmesan.
BAKE 15 to 20 min. or until heated through.

Velveeta Italian Sausage Bake



1-1/2 cups pasta (any shape), uncooked

1 lb. Italian sausage

3 cups halved zucchini slices

1 red pepper, chopped

1 can (8 oz.) pizza sauce

1/2 lb. (8 oz.) Velveeta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup  grated Parmesan cheese

HEAT oven to 350°F.
COOK pasta as directed on package, omitting salt. Meanwhile, brown sausage in large deep skillet on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to break up sausage. Drain; return sausage to skillet. Stir in zucchini, peppers and pizza sauce; cook 5 to 6 min. or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
DRAIN pasta. Add to sausage mixture with Velveeta; mix lightly. Spoon into 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with Parmesan.
BAKE 15 to 20 min. or until heated through.
 

Okay, after writing this, I realize these recipes are almost identical. Well, still, they're both great for something fast and easy. I can always count on Velveeta recipes to get me through the work week!



No comments:

Post a Comment