Monday, August 26, 2013

Jo Dee Messina song #3

Next up is "That's the Way" which is all about the ups and downs of life.

I can definitely relate to the first stanza. I was always walking the straight and narrow growing up: I was a good student, I did what I was told (most of the time...), and was never a "problem child." I easily was valedictorian of my high school graduating class, and though I was nervous about getting into college, with my grades and the fact that I was a legacy, I was practically a shoo in for Dartmouth. And then came a huge road block: no job. It hit me like a ton of bricks that, out of all people, I was the one who unemployed and living with my parents. NOT what I had planned.

"Everybody wants an easy ride on the merry-go-round that we call life
Take a drive on cruise control, then you wake to find it's a winding road
I had my dreams in view when the money ran out and the engine blew
Hung my tears out to dry, then my dreams fell outta the clear blue sky
And I, I was walking in the clouds feeling so safe and sound
'Til something else knocks me down"

The song's chorus then sort of tells you, "Well, you can't do anything about it. That's life. Deal."

"Oh and that's the way it is
You gotta roll with the punches
Oh and that's the way it goes
You gotta bend when the wind blows
You live, you learn
You crash, you burn
It's hit or miss
And that's the way it is"

The next stanza is about romance and how love is so complicated. It's a little literal for my taste, but here it is:

"One fine day you wake up, completely, hopelessly fallen in love
He's just what you're looking for, the only problem is that the man's not sure
Another guy will give you everything, the only problem is you don't feel a thing
Well I know from experience, nothing's ever gonna make perfect sense
Oh, one day you get what you want, but it's not what you think, then you get what you need"

You can plan out your life as much as you want, but things are going to come up when you least expect them. The only thing I can say is: Fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment