Saturday, August 24, 2013

Jo Dee Messina song #2

I also love the song "Burn" by Messina. This is one of those songs that my mom would probably have thought about when I was growing up. It's about going after your dreams and living your life to the fullest and making an impact in the world.

The song starts with the singer asking questions about what the listener may want to do with his or her life, like a parent asking a child, "So, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Do you wanna be a poet and write
Do you wanna be an actor up in lights
Do you wanna be a soldier and fight for love
Do you wanna travel the world
Do you wanna be a diver for pearls
Or climb a mountain and touch the clouds above

Then the parent says, "You can do anything you can set your mind to! Reach for the stars!"

Be anyone you want to be
Bring to life your fantasies
But I want something in return

I want you to burn
Burn for me baby
Like a candle in my night
Oh burn
Burn for me, burn for me

 And the parent admits that his or her child may not always make good decisions and won't be a perfect citizen:

Are you gonna be a gambler and deal
Are you gonna be a doctor and heal
Or go to heaven and touch God’s face
Are you gonna be a dreamer who sleeps
Are you gonna be a sinner who weeps
Or an angel under grace

I like to think that I am burning bright "like a candle" in my parents' night. I know they are proud of me for setting goals and achieving them, one at a time. I'm not settling, I'm not sitting back. They appreciate the hard work, because it lets them know they've done something right. Well, more like a million things right in raising me. This post is a pat on the back from me to my parents: GOOD JOB!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sweetie!! We love you and are proud of you every single day!

    ReplyDelete