Sunday, August 11, 2013

"Who I Am" by Jessica Andrews

I have always liked this song, and I heard it on the radio the other day, so I thought I'd share it with all of you. It's a song that's all about one of the most important things in life: family.

The song starts of with a list of goals that may not come to fruition:

If I live to be a hundred
And never see the Seven Wonders
That'll be alright
If I don't make it to the big leagues
If I never win a Grammy
I'm gonna be just fine
'Cause I know exactly who I am

Then the chorus contains a more meaningful list: the people in her life who have made her who she is:

I am Rosemary's granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done
My momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends who love me
And they know just where I stand
It's all a part of me
And that's who I am

This song lets me know that I've got my priorities straight. Yes, I would love to travel the world or have enough money to buy nice things, but I don't think about those on a daily basis, and will probably be on the back-burner for a long time. But my family is  essential to my happiness. They have made me "who I am"! They taught me my values and always encouraged me throughout life so that I would become to confident woman who I am today. And they support me through everything, and my friends do, too. The people in my life allow me to stay true to who I am, and they stand behind me 100%, no matter what:

So when I make a big mistake
And when I fall flat on my face
I know I'll be alright
Should my tender heart be broken
I will cry those teardrops knowing
I will be just fine
'Cause nothing changes who I am

If I take a misstep, or if someone hurts me, I know the people who really care about me will be there to pick me back up and set me back on track. Even though I consider myself a pretty independent, self-motivated person, I've only become that way because of the support system I have had throughout my entire life. And for that I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment