Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My favorite drinks

I'm not a big drinker. At 5'3", ~125lbs, three drinks is enough to last me the whole night. So when I drink, it's usually not to get tipsy: I just want something tasty to help me relax! Here are some of my favs:

1. Gin & Tonic: Or "G&T" if you will. These are my favorite summer drink. To me, this is the hard liquor version of a Corona. It's light and refreshing, and it tastes better with a lime in it. I prefer Tanqueray (I'm such a liquor snob), but these taste pretty good with a rail gin as well.These are also great for black light pong: the quinine in the tonic water glows in the ultraviolet light!

2. Sex on the Beach: This one's a little trickier since the name doesn't list the ingredients. Here's the recipe I use:

1 shot vodka (no flavor or some sort of citrus flavor)
1 shot peach schnapps
Splash of OJ
Fill glass with cranberry juice

This is pretty much the girliest drink you can get. It is super-sweet and so yummy. Plus, you feel a little naughty ordering it by name at a bar...

3. Muscato wine: I didn't really start drinking wine until after college. I never liked it before, but muscato is definitely a good "gateway wine." It's very sweet, almost like grape juice. You can get it with or without carbonation, but both ways are divine. It's kind of like champagne: it makes you feel happy instantly. A little bit goes a long way!

4. Cosmopolitan: This is a drink I actually like making rather than drinking. I got my bar-tending license a couple of months after graduating from college (a back-up plan in case I never got a real job). Although I have never had to use it, one thing I do remember is how to make a great Cosmo.

1 shot vodka (no flavor or some sort of citrus flavor)
1 shot Triple Sec
1 shot lime juice
Enough cranberry juice to turn the drink pink (NOT red)
Lemon rind garnish

I remember how to make this by thinking of a rainbow. The cranberry juice is red, Triple Sec is orange flavored, the lemon garnish is yellow, and the lime juice is green. Just add the vodka, and there you go!

5. Amaretto Sour: I had never even heard of this drink until the summer of 2011. One of the girls who works for my dad introduced me to this cocktail, and since then I order it every once in a while. This too is a very sweet drink. They go down so easily, so you have to be careful. They're like liquid candy! Not for those allergic to nuts! (or at least almonds...)

6. Alcoholic Milkshakes: These are the best dessert ever!I only discovered them my junior year of college, and I couldn't believe I hadn't come up with the idea myself! There are many combinations you could use, like Kahlua or Bailey's Irish Cream with chocolate ice cream, or peppermint or butterscotch schnapps in vanilla ice cream. Combine your after-work drink and after-dinner dessert all in one!

What are your go-to drinks? Or are there any drinks you can't stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment