Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Conserving Electricity


Now I know last night's post was on an environmental topic, so I apologize for the trend. I just was thinking about my electricity bill which sparked the need for this post. Like water, I think most people use electricity like a renewable resource that will always be there; when you flick a light switch, you assume the light will turn on. But creating electricity uses natural resources like coal, and until our entire nation (and world!) switches to solar power (which I'm not really sure is the answer, but we can all bet that the sun isn't going to burn out anytime soon), we should conserve the power we use. Here are some tips:

1. Turn off the lights when you leave a room. If you're not in the room, why does it need to be lit? Even if you're thinking you'll be back in there in just a minute, turn it off. Otherwise you'll start making yourself a snack and chatting with your roommate, and by the time you get back to your room, the light has been burning for 20 minutes for no good reason.

2. Wash your clothes in cold water. It takes energy not only to run the machine but to heat the water. So washing your clothes in cold water saves power (plus, the colors won't run and your favorite shirt won't shrink).

3. Unplug items when not in use. Now I'm not saying you have to unplug everything: my TV stays plugged in 24/7. But I always unplug my computer at night (which is good for the battery anyway), and at school I only plugged in my printer when I needed to use it. Same goes for your cell phone or curling iron. This way there isn't any "vampire energy."

I'm sure there are many other ways to conserve electricity, but this list is just to start you off. These tips are really easy, so tell yourself you'll start using them TODAY. There's no time like the present!

No comments:

Post a Comment