Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Fighting off a cold


The moment I woke up this morning, I knew I was getting a cold. My nose was running during my spin class at the gym, and I haven't stopped sneezing all day. But with these tips and tricks, I hope I can fight it off and feel fine in the next couple of days.

1. Exercise: As long as you don't feel fatigued in your body, you should exercise. The intense breathing definitely clears your lungs, and working out makes your body stronger, and therefore better at fighting off illness.

2. Vitamin C: Make sure to take lots of it! I had a glass of orange juice in the morning (though I do this every morning. You should, too!), and I also had some Emergen-C. A multi-vitamin doesn't hurt, either.

3. Meds: I've never been one for taking medicine (I'm the "grin-and-bear-it" type), but when it comes to colds, I figure most of the medicines aren't too strong that they'll have negative effects on my body. I usually take Dayquil and Nyquil, though I'll admit these are hit-or-miss.

4. Sleep: Getting enough sleep is very important for your body to fight off sickness! Make sure to go to bed earlier than usual, and if you can, sleep in a bit, too. If your body is telling you it's tired and needs more sleep, listen to it.

5. Eat spicy/hot foods: This is another way to clear out your system. So order some Mexican or Chinese take-out ASAP! And drinking hot tea can help as well, especially if you have a sore throat accompanying your runny nose.

We will not let this winter cold bring us down!

1 comment:

  1. Feel better Kate! I can't survive a cold without Breath Right strips, Mucinex-D, and hot toddys made with ginger tea and LOTS of whisky.

    ReplyDelete